Sunday, May 20, 2012

Top Reads

Blood on the Bayou
Book #2

If I had any doubts on whether this author was talented or not, this book squashed those ambiguous feelings with a vengeance. Everything that I had issue with in the last book seems to have been worked out for its followup. Brilliantly written and edited, with imagery to match. I couldn't help but get sucked into this book, right from the start. Jay has expertly crafted an interesting & unique world I definitely would like to know more of, and a likable and often funny self-deprecating protagonist, that has more issues than a hypochondriac (but great taste in beer).

Added to the already great writing is the exciting and original plot, and the thrilling twists that are presented along the way. The book starts about 3 weeks after the first, but there doesn't seem to be any great loss from that, especially with the recap presented at the top. For those reading the first two books back to back, they may find the small recap annoying and repetitive, but it doesn't last for more than a couple of pages, thankfully.

The only other faults I could find is the ridiculous love quadrangle we were introduced to in the first book. However, (A) it seems to make a bit more sense this time around, (B) I didn't find it completely gratuitous, and (C) the sub-plot is properly dealt with and possibly put somewhat to bed (pun intended) by the end. The last issue I had was the conclusion. The author did such a great job of keeping her readers along for the ride, but she quickly detours us by the end, when she skips a good chunk of time and just gives us a quick and dirty epilogue of events I would have rather have read in greater detail.

In summary, barring a couple of minor issues I had with it, I have to say this is one of the best books I've read as of late.

Warning: Some sexual content, but nothing too graphic.

-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment