Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The 2nd Makes it Good

The Renfield Syndrome
Book #2

This has got to be one of the best followups I've read in quite some time. If you haven't read the first book yet, please do so before reading any further. These books have a bit of everything. Yes there are vampires, but there are also demons, witches, time travel, and other things that go bump in the night.

The second book starts exactly where the first book leaves off, with Rhiannon beamed into a bad episode of the Twilight Zone. And because I've always been a sucker for a nice mind screw plot, I really enjoyed this book, or at least the first three quarters of it. Overall the book was written, edited, and executed better than the first. In short, I devoured this book in no time flat.

And while I did like this book overall, I thought it fell short on a couple of key places. The climax may have been started too early, leaving a somewhat anti-climatic and disappointing ending. This happens when a majority of the book is a high-energy fantasy thriller ride, that doesn't let up until the climax, then ends in on a slower-somber note. My other issue was the predictable major turn of events, although the author did ultimately deliver what I was hoping for. There were also just a couple of mistakes/inconsistencies, one of which is blatantly apparent if you read the first two books back to back. It's hard to miss, that's all I'll say.

In summary, I loved this book because it was exciting and satisfying up until the climax. I'm definitely signing up to read the third book when it comes out.

-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment