Sunday, February 26, 2012

Future Release Review: The Prophet

The Prophet (Apr 24th)
Book #3

The Prophet is a solid book, with all the elements that first drew me to this series. As always, these books are well written and has a added creep factor, without rising to a level of Horror. However, I do admit that it took me an inordinate amount of time to get through this particular book. The book has less of scary and creepy feel as the second book, The Kingdom, but a satisfying and somewhat final conclusion, made this a worthwhile read.

With Asher behind her, Amelia returns to her life in Charleston and her haunted detective. A ghost of a murdered cop enlists her help, and she quickly becomes embroiled in dynamic mystery, full of lies, murder, drugs, and ghosts. And at the center of all this is Devlin's hedonistic dead wife.

I had numerous issues with this book, none of which had anything to do with how it was written.  Amelia is a different person around Devlin.  She displays a marked amount weakness, co-dependency, and lack of self-worth.  I spent most of the book wanting slap some sense into the woman.  Other mild annoyances include: revisiting the Devlin subplot, the lack of suspense & fear, and the cliched endings to the ghost & murder mystery subplot.    The ending alludes to this being the last book in this series.  If this is the case, I will gravely be disappointed.

In summary, I liked this book overall, but I can't say it was my favorite.  The pace was about the same as the others, but I found my interest waning at times. Having said that, I would definitely recommend this book to fans of the series.

Warning: One sexual scene, albeit, not too graphic.

This book is set to release on Apr 24th. I received an advanced copy via Netgalley.

-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment