Friday, January 13, 2012

Sins of the Demon Review

Sins of the Demon
Book #4

If I had to sum up this book in one sentence, I would have to say it's fairly good, but truly never satisfies. The writing and editing is in-line with the rest of the series, and the pace was decent enough, so what went wrong? This book felt more like a filler novel. Yes, we learn a little more about a couple of the characters, but not much more than that, other than a mystery subplot that's predictable and distracting from the main series plot.  My biggest gripe is with the huge cliffhanger ending. I'm never a fan of cliffhangers, especially when a book stops right when it gets interesting and introduces a new subplot. I call this reader torture.   

Another issue I had with this book is with the dialogue. Too many exclamation points and strange/forced conversations by the protagonist. There was also an inordinate amount of unnecessary cursing towards the end. Maybe it's just me, but I also find the protagonist grossly inappropriate and unbelievable as a functioning member of a police department. I know if I said stuff like "I'm freezing my t*tts off", I would have a problem at work. Yes men say stuff like this all the time, but working in a predominantly male field, I know that it's still not okay for women to speak that way. Is it fair? No. But that's how it is.

One other thing that I noticed is how closely the protagonist sometimes sounds like Rowland's other series protagonist. This is mostly noticed close to the beginning of the book.

In summary, I did enjoy the book, but not without some issues.  I suggest holding off reading this book until book five's release if you can, due to the ending cliffhanger.

Warning: Mild Violence, Cursing, (But no sex and little sexual content)
-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment