Sunday, January 8, 2012

Richelle Explains

Posted on Richelle Mead's Blog, in response to Shadow Heir:

"Warning: I'm going to talk about Shadow Heir. And while I won't be giving away any specific details, there may be some general spoilery stuff. So, perhaps you should avoid this post if you haven't read the book yet...but come back to it once you've finished SH.

Anyway, if you've read SH, you probably know that the ending resolves some things...but not others. Obviously, this troubles some people since there's a big, big question left open there. I had a couple of reasons for ending it it in that OMG way. One is that I kind of like leaving a little mystery at the end, kind of like in the 1980s Flash Gordon movie when Ming's ring starts glowing. (IS HE REALLY DEAD? IS HE COMING BACK?). I don't always want to have every single detail neat and tidy at the end of a series. It can feel a little too perfect. I like to think about things afterward and leave a few open doors. Many have asked if I have plans, on some far off day, to wrap up some of the remaining mysteries.

My answer? You never know. :)"
******
I read this post a couple of days ago, and all I could think was that she really doesn't get why her fans are upset. It's not the opened ended questions at the end that really irked a majority of readers. It's about the decisions made by the protagonist.  Those decisions and the ending pretty much nullify all progress made by the protagonist and trashes the entire series.  This is the reason why people are upset.

At least this answers a few questions I had about why she did what she did. It wasn't a brilliant of a move on her part, she was just too lazy or busy to finish the series. I count myself as having a pretty good imagination, but I don't pay good money or invest my precious time for an author to leave to me to fill in the blanks.  My suggestion would be to find a better editor or get a real fan (not a yes-man) to read her books before they are published.

-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

2 comments:

  1. I had planned to start this series because I was really enjoying the graphic novel, but after I heard about this 4th book, this series plummeted on my TBR list. And I don't think I'll pick it up until I know she plans to fix it. And yeah, it's a wishy washy response that doesn't get to the meat of the problem. I didn't even READ the series and understood the reader frustration better than her. This response tells me she just really didn't know what the hell she was doing. This doesn't put me in a hurry to read any of her books. I'll get to them when I get to them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say that it wasn't worth reading the series, because it is good, up until like the last paragraph. I never imagined a good author could ruin an entire series with only just a couple of sentences.

    My recommendation would be to read the first two books then stop, if you're still inclined to read them. I don't think I'm going to be taking a chance with Mead again.

    ReplyDelete