Monday, January 16, 2012

The reviews can't be wrong, right?

Book#1

I felt compelled to read this book, after numerous recommendations from friends and glowing reviews by a majority of readers. Well, I should have trusted my initial instincts, because this book really didn't do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for a great Zombie read, but this just didn't compare to any that I've read in the past. It truly wasn't for me, because even though it was a rather short read, I kept on wishing for it to be over already. I found to be rather pedestrian and cliched throughout.  

Everything you would find in a "B" Zombie movie, along with bickering spouses. But instead following the "B" movie paradigm in offing the most annoying characters first, we are subjected to them until the bitter end.  There is no dept or originality here, and little in the way of character ARC.  These books utilize gimmicks and cliches to draw readers, as evident with the covers and the PSA epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter.  Using these cheap devices wouldn't bother me as much if these books had more to offer than a couple of one liners and a B-tagged zombie plot.  However, since so many people give these books high marks, there must be something I missed or failed to recognize during my read.
****
Meet Sarah and David.

Once upon a time they met and fell in love. But now they're on the verge of divorce and going to couples' counseling. On a routine trip to their counselor, they notice a few odd things - the lack of cars on the highway, the missing security guard, and the fact that their counselor, Dr. Kelly, is ripping out her previous client's throat.

Meet the Zombies.

Now, Sarah and David are fighting for survival in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. But, just because there are zombies, doesn't mean your other problems go away. If the zombies don't eat their brains, they might just kill each other.

2 comments:

  1. I actually like this series, but I started with the ARC for Book 2. Book 2 was a lot better and funnier. Book 3 was even better than 2. Book 1 wasn't that great for me either, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comment about that, and wondered if I should give the 2nd book a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete