Thursday, December 29, 2011

One of the most disappointing endings...ever.

Shadow Heir
Book #4/Final

-Spoiler-Free Rant-
I admit, I've read my fair share of bad series finales or even followups, but I think Ms. Mead may have taken the cake as being the supreme Queen of Disappointment. Not to say I didn't enjoy the book up until that fateful point, but I think if I would have know that it was going to leave me so dissatisfied, to the point of frustration and anger, I might not have bothered with it in the first place. I understand that not every story is meant to have a happy ending, but I at least expected that an author would have the decency to attempt to wrap-up and answer most of the open-ended questions by the end. I guess that was pretty presumptuous on my part.

Without giving too much away, the book was much better as a whole than the final Succubus book, but that really isn't much of a consolation when it comes to the very loose ending. It really is difficult to keep my overall opinion of this book in perspective. Especially when the last thing you are left with is disappointment. The book was good if it wasn't for the ending. Some would say, just ignore the ending and rewrite your own, but it's hard for me to do so, when one ending is already so ingrained in my mind. Anger does that I guess.

I can only assume that the fan unfriendly ending is either a product of some greater machination or just tactic to anger her devoted readers. I really don't understand either reasoning, but I do know that I won't be investing anymore time with this author's future works.

-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment