Friday, November 18, 2011

Breaking Dawn Steps it Up

Breaking Dawn
So, I went to see the new Twilight movie this afternoon, and I have to say it has to be the best of the bunch. I'm truly not a Twihard or whatever you call those sad moms who wear Edward tees and scream Robert Pattinson's name whenever they catch the fancy, but I thought it was overall one of the best productions in this franchise thus far.

The acting was much better by Kristen Stewart, who I'd previously judged to be a good child actor and a sub-par to bad adult actor.  Direction, editing, and comic relief was also a step-up as well. I was pleasantly surprised with the lightheartedness and obvious demonstration that they truly don't take themselves too seriously, especially with the more ridiculous parts that most book fans rejected.  Case in point, Bella's questionable baby name choices.

I was a bit shocked by what they did end up showing their mostly pre-teen audience, but I think they did stay true to the book as much as possible. The true test on whether this was entertainment gold for me is the amount of times I caught myself glancing at my watch or being distracted by the odd passerby.  Test passed, and was I was actually kinda PO'd that it ended when it did, even though I already knew they were splitting the last book up into two movies.  The worst part of this movie, as you can imagine, is that we now have to wait another year to watch the rest. Oy' vey, but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait, or as Roger Ebert so elegantly puts it, if it isn't, Charlie Swan has a gun and he knows how to use it.

2 comments:

  1. Patterson? Do you really think that's not disingenuous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called a spelling error. Thanks for the correction.

    ReplyDelete