Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mistakes, Oh My

Pay Me In Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie at Law)Pay Me In Flesh
Update: I have since learned that the error-filled ebook that I received, may be just a fluke. This may or may not be the case, as I can not really say for sure. I also have to mention that K. Bennett is actually a pen name for James Scott Bell, who is a very nice man btw. That might also explain why I found the romance subplot rather weak. For those who know me, know that I try to avoid reading male authored books at all costs, because they are usually quite inept with creating good romantic tension. My prejudice of course.

I can't say I recommend this book. The story and pace were decent enough, but I couldn't help but feel as if it was trying way too hard to be clever (Though I could be in just an irritable mood). The humor that it was obviously shooting for was also a miss for me. What truly put the last nail in the coffin were the staggering amount of grammatical mistakes and typos I found in this eBook. I mean it is off the charts staggering. It was such a painful struggle to continue reading this book, that I ended up requesting my first eBook refund from Amazon.

The writing is average to good, which is made up of mostly short and poorly constructed sentences. A few grammatical mistakes usually don't bother me, since I'm really not a stickler, but this eBook is littered with them. It's very distracting when you have to constantly reread sentences because the grammar is so bad that you don't get the meaning the first time through.

In summary, I really wanted like this book, and generally I did. But the inexcusable amount of mistakes kept me from truly enjoying what was already an interesting story.  For those that are dead-set on giving this book a go, I suggest checking out a paper copy, not the eBook.

Beware of the other glowing reviews, as I seem to currently have the only Verified Purchase on Amazon. For those looking for a light & good humored Zombie read, I recommend My Life as A White Trash Zombie.
***
Hungry For Justice - And Brains": Meet Mallory Caine. Attorney at law. Zombie at large. She's not like those "Living Dead" losers you see in the movies. She doesn't slobber, drool, or lurch - she's smart, stylish, and sexy. Sure, she's a zombie and a lawyer but, hey, a girl's got to eat. When Mallory's not in the courtroom, going head to head with her ex-boyfriend, killer-prosecutor Aaron Argula, she's in the seedy streets of Hollywood, hunting brain after brain. That is, until some psycho starts hunting zombie after zombie...

-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment