Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Hunt for My Next Ereader


I went into a Bricks & Mortars book store today, for the first time in I don't know how long. I was there to pick up the new Jane True in paperback, which releases a week before the ebook. Is this a trick by the publisher and book dealers to sell more physical books? I think so.

Anyways, while I was at B&N I checked out the new Nook Touch. It didn't blow my socks off, but I did like its compact-ergonomic & keyboard-less design. I don't care for the Kindle's keyboard much, or the fact that I can easily set it off by pressing a button accidentally (which I do quite often). I wish there was a lockout function for the K3 keyboard. The contrast and screen size seemed about the same. Navigation was easy, but I had to repeatedly tap to enter a book, however page turning wasn't cumbersome.

The part that turned me off was the way the Nook makes use of its screen. On the Kindle, you can fill the screen up with Text with minimal margin space. On the Nook, there was a fair amount of Top & Bottom Margin space that couldn't be filled in. There was a Nook dude there, devoted to peadling to their emarket consumer, and he said that the margin spacing changes from book to book. I ain't buying it, because there were plenty of books on the Nook I tried and it all performed the same. In any case, once you set your ereader, it should treat every book the same, unless you change file types.


So, I decided to walk out without a new Nook Touch. I've bought 4 Kindles, but I swear, I'm not brand loyal. I'm curious to see what the end product of the upcoming K4 will be. Rumors are running amok, from it being a Triton color touch to a Tablet similar to the IPAD. Only time will tell.

Last week I checked out the Kobo Touch, Border's new Touch Ereader. It's a cheaper design & construction of the new Nook, but accepts a wide variety of file types and is lighter than either the K3 or the new Nook. The only issues I saw was weak contrast, that is similar to the older version ereaders, and the unit I inspected kept locking up on me.


So I guess my hunt continues and the wait for more information on the new Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment