Sunday, June 5, 2011

Non-Rec: Demon

DemonI'm not sure what possessed me to read this book in its entirety. A fast read no-doubt, but I'm still unsure if I even liked this book. After enjoying the first book, I thought the follow-up would be decent as well. Well, I was wrong. The writing and worldbuilding was fine enough, it was the main couple's relationship that disturbed me. The male protagonist goes beyond acting cool & indifferent, when an unwelcome attraction begins to bloom towards the demon he's been tracking.  In trying to deny the prophesied match and in the shadow of his beloved murdered wife, he becomes down right cruel.  And for some reason, the object of his affection easily kept dismissing his actions and coming back for more. Not only that, but there is also a questionable scene, that can be construed as rape, but is then brushed aside like it never happened.

The story itself is somber and takes a slow pace at times. And unfortunately, the world building & interesting "Dark City" setting was completely marred by this disturbing abusive relationship.  I can't say I recommend this book. I may read the next book in the series, because I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Hopefully, there won't be more of the same permissive-abuse romance paradigms in future books.
***
Azazel should have extinguished the deadly Lilith when he had the chance. Now, faced with a prophecy that will force him to betray the memory of his one true love and wed the Demon Queen, he cannot end her life until she leads him to Lucifer. Finding the First is the Fallen’s only hope for protecting mankind from Uriel’s destruction, but Azazel knows that ignoring his simmering desire for the Lilith will be almost as impossible.
-Life is too Short to Read a Bad Book-

No comments:

Post a Comment