Monday, April 25, 2011

E-Publishing


Another great post by Ilona-Andrews. This one is about the pros & cons of e-publishing, from an author's perspective. You know, publishing exclusively in e-format. I always thought it would be easier to do it on your own.  It's always interesting to hear what the true reality of it is, from the POV of a successful author.  A few highlights from their post are below. Go here to read the full monty.

"Intro:
In the current reading environment, ebooks are a topic of hot debate. People are very vocal about prices, DRM, formats, availability of certain titles on some platforms but not the others, and other related issues. Some people are almost fanatically pro-ebooks; others reject them completely. I am in neither camp. I have no emotional stake in the success or failure of the e-format. I think it’s a convenient way to purchase fiction and I own several e-readers; however, for me it’s just a new way to get the content I want.

...when I look at self-publishing e-books and compare them to traditional publishing, I tend to focus on both risks and benefits. Here are some of them, as I see them.

Pre-Publication:
The collection (Curran's POV) is now being updated, but I’ve learned a valuable lesson: never put out anything less than your best effort. You pay for it with your reputation.

So, let’s take a look at how many people it takes to bring the book to publication through a traditional print publisher. These are the acknowledgments for MAGIC SLAYS, the latest book in our Kate Daniels series.

In an ideal situation, each of the people here, including our agent, acts as a quality control, dedicated to making sure the manuscript is turned into the best book it could possibly be. The book you hold in your hand is the product of efforts of a dozen people, each of whom is trained for their job and has experience that the writer doesn’t.

If I choose to self-publish an e-book, I must then wear all of these hats."

So, it's harder to self publish in e-format? They go on to define each job in the process of publishing one book. Go here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment